Licensed Practical Nurse
General Summary of Duties: Responsible for providing professional nursing care for clinic patients under supervision. Assisting physician with in room patient care and documentation
Supervision Received: Clinic Administrator, Physician
Supervision Exercised: None
- Provides general nursing care to patients
- Obtains patient history and physical information and vital signs
- Gives injections and immunizations
- Performs blood draws
- Assists in minor surgical procedures
- Assists physician with examinations including diagnostic procedures and treatments
- Documents all plans and assessments in the room with the provider
- Documents activities/interventions, patients /family responses, medication dispensed/prescribed in the medical record
- Obtaining Lab reports, x-ray reports, hospital correspondence as needed for the physician
- Checking schedules and organizing patient flow
- Responds to/refers incoming patient treatment related phone calls. Instruct patient and family regarding medications and instructions.
- Prepares patients for physical examinations
- Schedules tests, treatments and consults at other facilities.
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination and testing of patients.
- Maintains exam room and lab for necessary supplies and materials
- Promotes wellness by providing patient education materials, communicating physician advice and instructions to patients/families
- Ensures positive customer service atmosphere is continuously maintained
- Ability to fill in for other staff and cover in case of sickness or vacation
Education: LPN degree from accredited school of nursing
Experience: Minimum of one year in a healthcare setting as an LPN
Requirements: State LPN license, Current CPR certification
- Knowledge of basic nursing principles and protocols
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control, environmental safety and patient confidentiality.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of medical chart reporting/records
- Skill in appropriate assessment and assistance techniques
- Skill in appropriate use of universal precautions, safe workplace and confidentiality methods
- Skill in health information management by appropriately charting patient data
- Ability to work effectively as a team member with physicians and other staff
- Ability to project a pleasant and professional image
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to appropriately interact with patients, families, staff and others.
- Ability to flexibly respond to changing demands.
Environmental/Working Conditions: Combination of office and exam rooms. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations. Hepatitis B vaccination and TB test required.
Physical/Mental Demands: Varied activities including sitting, walking, stooping, lifting, bending, reaching. Must be bale to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and to lift 50 pounds. Occasional stress from workload. must be able to use a variety of office equipment including phone, writing instruments, PC, fax and medical equipment including stethoscope, EKG machine, ear washing equipment, speculums, scales, blood pressure cuff.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.