General Summary of Duties: Assist the providers with basic patient care, clerical, environmental and organizational tasks.
Supervision Received: Clinic Administrator, and Physician
Supervision Exercised: None
- Accompany patients to exam/procedure room
- Assist patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, etc.
- Obtaining a patient history including vitals
- Performing screenings, tests and procedures per provider guidelines
- Assists physician in relaying instructions to patients/families
- Assist with charting patients visit or contact with the office
- Answering calls and providing pertinent information
- Checking schedules and organizing patient flow
- Sending/Receiving medical records
- Obtaining Lab reports, x-ray reports, hospital correspondence
- Completing requisition forms as needed
- Scheduling outside appointments for patients
- Charting and documenting as appropriate
- Setting up instruments and equipment according to protocol
- Cleaning exam rooms/procedure rooms
- Cleaning instrument and equipment in between patient visits to maintain infection control
- Sorting, storing and restocking supplies in exam rooms and lab
- Performing EKG’s, Immunizations, and lab draws as requested by a provider
- Rooming patients after initial check in process
- Ability to fill for other staff and cover in case of sickness or vacation
Education: Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program
Experience: Minimum of one year in a healthcare setting as an MA
Requirements: Medical Assistant Certification/Registration or Associated Degree, Current CPR certification
- Knowledge of health care field
- Knowledge of specific assisting tasks
- Knowledge of information that must be conveyed to patients and families
- Skill in performing assistance tasks appropriately
- Skill intact and diplomacy in interpersonal interactions
- Skill in understanding of patients’ needs by effectively sharing information with patients and families.
- Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care procedures
- Ability to project a pleasant and professional image
- Ability to plan, prioritize and complete delegated tasks
- Ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with others
- Ability to work as a team and individual according to needs
Environmental/Working Conditions: Combination of medical office and exam/procedure room settings. Well – lighted, wellventilated, adequate space.
Physical/Mental Demands: Must be able to us appropriate body mechanics techniques when making necessary patient transfers and helping patients with walking. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.